This is a healthier Cajun chicken alfredo but I wouldn’t necessarily call it healthy. I don’t know if you can make an alfredo sauce that tastes good that can be considered healthy. I consider it a healthier option because I use half and half instead of heavy cream. There is also roasted baby bell peppers, chicken andouille sausage, and omega three enriched pasta. If you want to use the non-light version of the ingredients, go for it. Traditional chicken alfredo is heavy due to the cream, butter, and cheese making you want to lie down afterwards and take a nap. My version is light and you will be able to function later.
The rub has heat from sriracha seasoning. The baby bell peppers add a hint of sweetness. So you have a sweet, salty, and spicy dish. With this recipe you get your omega 3s, plenty of protein, and vegetables to serve to your family and friends.
My next post is not healthy, it is the opposite. Chocolate cookies stuffed with frosting. This will make up for the lack of butter and cream.
- The Rub
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha seasoning
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- Chicken Alfredo
- 9-12 baby bell peppers, roasted
- 2 half pound chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 andouille sausages
- 1 pound omega 3 enriched pasta (or your pasta of choice)
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 cups half and half
- 1 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly chopped green onion
- Turn your oven to broil, place the peppers on a baking sheet lined with tin foil. Keep your eye on the peppers as they broil. Once one side has roasted, flip the peppers over and roast the other side. Let the peppers sit for about 10 minutes and then de-seed and chop. Put them in a bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk the ingredients together until combined, set aside.
- Turn the oven down to 350°F, put a pot of water on the stove, and bring to a boil. In a large cast iron skillet or oven safe skillet, heat the oil over medium, and add the sliced andouille. Brown the sausages, set aside in a small bowl and cover the top with tin foil. Return the skillet to the stove and turn the heat to high. Put the rub in a shallow bowl and dredge the chicken breasts. Then place the chicken breasts in the skillet and cook each side for 3 minutes. Line a baking sheet with tin foil, place the breasts on the sheet, and put in the oven for 10 minutes. The water should be ready, cook the noodles following the instructions on the box. Now return to the chicken and thinly slice, set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and brown it, about 3 minutes. Stir in the wine and pour in the half-and-half bringing it to simmer. Let simmer until the sauce reduces by half. Add the roasted peppers, chicken slices, and sausage. Let cook for 2 minutes and then stir in 1 cup of cheese and the pasta.
- When ready to serve, garnish with the green onions and the rest of the parmesan cheese.